Friday, April 18, 2014

Mel On....Running Happy (and then completely slacking)

We just got back from a week long trip to Pula over Spring Break and I totally fell off my little training bandwagon.  Probably not a good thing to do two weeks before a race I am hoping to PR for...neither were those three bottles of wine I also consumed during that trip...

BUT, I did do one run while we were there. Just an easy 3 miler along the coast of Croatia...no biggie...


Talk about #RUNHAPPY.  I only thought the fields in my village were my "happy place."  THIS.  This is my happy place!








Once we got back home I got into another funk though.  My knee/leg was still bothering me, my allergies were acting up, and I was just blah.  I had 25 miles planned for this week but I ended up with only 4.5.  My body and sleep patterns were all out of whack and it was really getting to me...I knew I should run, I wanted to run, but I really didn't want to run.

Honestly, and I hate to admit it, I am a little concerned about my knee. I thought a week or two of less running would make it feel better but it is the same, if not a little worse.  I can no longer sit cross-legged without wanting to cry and if I do end up bending my leg then it takes me a while and it smarts to straighten it.  I've been stretching and doing some of the exercises my physical therapist gave me but it's not working yet.  I know it takes time though, it just sucks waiting.

I did promise my doctor I wouldn't sign up for anything for a while after Madrid to see if we can't calm it down though.  There are three races right around the corner that I have had my eye on but I haven't committed to them yet (play it smart, Mel). I really want to take a few weeks to focus solely on recovery.  I guess I owe my body that....

Anyway, so that is where I am.  Training wise I'm technically down to a taper so I guess I'm not missing too much or hurting myself too bad by slacking the rest of the week.  I still want to PR but I am not going to break myself doing it, I will be proud to finish with my head up and more time on the clock than having to crawl over the finish line and not be able to run at all.  And, I think my Aunt Sandy would be happy about that.  #Runhappy.


1 comment: