Thursday, July 17, 2014

Mel On...Knee Update (No news is...well, no news...)

82.  It's been 82 days since my last race and my last real run. Eighty-two.  


I apologize for not updating sooner and I want to sincerely thank all those who have asked me where I have been and encouraged me to keep writing - even though there is nothing really to write about at the moment!

So here it is...my little update...


I will try to give you the short version.  "Try" being the key word so bare with me...

After a horrendous hassle trying to get an MRI scheduled I was finally able to be seen off-base at a German hospital on June 20th (almost one month to the day my doctor referred me for one).  


[Side note:  German hospitals will not give you a gown.  It took about 10 minutes and a lot of charadding to figure this out.  You are fully expected to walk from the dressing room, down the hall, to the MRI room in your underpants. One word:  Awkward.]

Afterwards the technician gave me a CD with the results on it to give to my doctor.  HOWEVER, COMMA, the results are in German and the doctor on base was unable to open it with their systems and/or read it.  He informed me I would have to pick the CD up and take it back to a German clinic for translation.  HOWEVER, COMMA, the clinic lost their translator so the CD would have to be mailed back to the states for translation before I could be given my results.  Are you friggin' kidding me?!  They have to send my German results to CALIFORNIA to be translated when we are currently located in GERMANY.

I do not get it.  Needless to say, the doctor (a completely new one mind you because both my physical therapist and primary doctor had PCS'd at this point) was unable to do anything at my next appointment except to tell me that we should hopefully get the results in the next 3-4 weeks.  He thinks I've torn or angered a ligament and should continue to rest it.  I HAVE BEEN RESTING IT FOR 82 DAYS, DUDE.

Sooo....not going to lie, I got a little depressed with this whole thing.  The weather has been gorgeous and I miss putting those miles in more than I thought was possible.  I'm trying to keep my head up though.  I still can't do too much on it (no jumping, uphill anything, repetitive motion, etc.) but I have been stretching and getting my yoga on.  I think I have gained about 10 lbs since this whole thing happened.  Actually, if I am being honest...I did gain about 10 lbs since this whole thing happened. That was a swift kick to the ego and only depressed me more.  Plus, we are in the middle of PCS season so we are saying goodbye to some amazing friends and are living in the limbo of an international move...no biggie...

We will miss you Tina and Elaine!

Then, two of my friends from my running group had their "farewell" run last week.  It hurt my heart I wasn't able to run with them but I did show up and hug their necks one last time.  As we watched them run down one of my favorite loops, my son asked me, "Mom, are you sad you can't run with them?  It's okay, we can get ice-cream," as he patted my back.  Note to self, you can't eat a pint of cookies-n-cream when you aren't burning an extra 2,000-3,000 calories a week and not gain weight.  Simple math, Mel.

But, the light at the end of the tunnel is that we will be stateside soon and hopefully I can get a consistent provider (who, crossing my fingers, shares my love of running and won't just tell me to stop). 

It's funny, I think the lack of ability to run here is making the move a little easier for me.  I don't want to leave Germany for a variety of reasons - I really do love this place -  but I want to be able to run even more.  Here's hoping!




No comments:

Post a Comment